We happened to be in the Cashes Valley area yesterday and saw a sign for Adventure Trail Rides. Ever curious, and needing a Business of the Week, we decided to check them out (translation: show up uninvited!)
Magan, the barn manager, was on the phone with a client when we arrived, but Olaf, her HUGE Mastiff/Rottie mix, kept us entertained while we waited. He looks intimidating, but he’s a big ole luv bug.
We also visited with two of the horses that were in the arena, Jethro being particularly sweet, and watched the antics of the many chickens that were running about. (Note to self: must get chickens!)
When Magan was free, she could not have been more gracious with her time and gave us a lovely tour!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Owned by Derrick and Christine Callihan, Adventure Trail Rides has been in operation for 13 years.
- Olaf is the coolest dog, ever.
- They specialize in novice riders, so no experience is needed.
- They operate all year long; a few days notice on reservations is preferred during off-season periods, a week is good for busy seasons, especially weekends.
- Groups of up to 14 may be accommodated
- Minimum riding age is 7, maximum weight limit is 240 pounds.
- A one-hour ride is $29.50 and a 1.5 hour ride is $39.50; these are cash rates. There is a 3% surcharge for paying with credit/debit cards.
- Private rides are available for an additional $15 per person.
In addition to horseback riding, they have a delightful assortment of farm animals: mini-horses & donkeys, chickens, a goat, a pig and you are welcome to visit with them.
The secret surprise is the general store: open 10:30 – 2:30 most days (and certainly when rides are scheduled), you can grab lunch, or enjoy browsing the unique items for sale. I was thrilled to find Country Pickles, Pickled Green Tomatoes and Garlic Stuffed Olives on the shelf, and snatched up a jar of each. DELISH!! The pickles pack a little punch: just the way I like them and I’ve never had Pickled ‘Maters before but I guarantee I’ll be having them again!
Take the kids out for a fun farm day, see the scenery from the best seat in the house – the back of a gentle horse – and return to your cabin happy and relaxed, with new memories of a fabulous experience!
Check them out at adventuretrailrides.com or call 706.258.BARN. See you out on the trails!